Meta data text George Adams, Nicholas Alexander, Peter Anderson, Richard Bastow, Richard Basboro, Noah Birnie, Noah Bernie, Frank Brown, Duncan Campbell, LE Douffel, Louis Douffel, Thomas Dunn, Demetrius Gardi, John Gay, James Gay, Peter Gonsalve, John Hill, E W Houghton, Charles Johnson, Edward Jones, William Jones, Edward Lockhart, Daniel McCarthy, D McPhadron, Dave McFadzean, George Mansell, John Moore, James Murphy, P Nexley, P Necley, Peter Osborne, Thomas Owen, Owen Owens, Captain Owen Owens, John Parry, John Billington Hayes Parry, Frank Pinorel, Frank Penoril, George Peters, Longman Pind, Longman dePind, Thomas Salmon, S Scan, Gustave Schwartz, James Sullivan, Henry Thredingham, Dr Marshall Hall Webster, Robert Westley, Robert Wesley, T W Willey, E K Williams, Edward Williams.
- Mid 80s: original list of approx. 20 names sent to me (Karina) by a relative, located in a Genealogy newsletter from QLD.
- 2005: Don Charlwood sent me a copy of his newest book The Wreck of the Netherby, after initial contact where he asked to use some information from my ancestor’s letter. His crew list was prepared by Barry Challenger who provided an update for the second edition of the book in 2012 following info from Grimes family research, which used data from The Plymouth Emigration officer 11 April 1866.
- 2007/08 approx: List with additional names provided to me by Ann Rutte. Origin not stated.
- Ongoing: various references in the Netherby Gazette, newspapers articles and letters to the editor, passenger’s diaries or letters.
- 2016: list in the King Island museum – no resources listed on it.
- March 2020: New resource from the collections of the Merseyside Maritime Museum recently digitised – papers of James Baines and Co, Liverpool ship owners. (Netherby, 28 July 1866 – 27 August 1866 (file bundle 6). Records include: Letter from John Alberry, Superintendant of the Melbourne Sailors Home to Captain Webb of the London Sailors Home (Alberry letter). Letter listing numerous vessels showing payments still due to crews, including Netherby, no author (payt due letter). (scans down below).
As far as we know the total crew numbered 38. Still working on this list and all help is accepted.
The Relief Fund’s final report in the Age on 27 Oct 1866 refers to them outfitting each of the 29 men composing of the crew. I assume this number would not include the officers.
POSSIBLES – still being checked.
Jacob Moses. Referred to on page 39 of the Gazette as a money lender. Doesn’t match any other passenger name.
On the “alternative” Netherby passenger list there is a group of names on the last page that do not match any other lists of passenger names or are in addition to passengers already noted. There are also names visible at the bottom of each page below the main passenger count. I have listed them here in case they turn out to be crew.
William James Austin.
Donager (spelling not determined – could be Donagher, Langer, Sanger, Sawyer).
Sam Meager (appears in addition to a passenger named Samuel Meagher).
O’Conner (appears on page 3 below all other names – separate to the existing known 3 O’Connor’s).
Stephen Prestwood (appears in the list on the last page and also appears below the rest of the S passenger list in a different handwriting).
Rohas (or Rohan) Walls (appears below the final W list page 13 in different handwriting).
Barry Challengers notes in Wreck of the Netherby refer to James Murphy and Daniel McCarthy being on the Plymouth Emigration Officer passenger list.
Anyone underlined beside the list has an existing page on this site built for them. Click for a read.
Letter from John Shillinglaw, Register of Seamen, Melbourne to Captain W Webb, Sailors Home, London.
Source: Merseyside Maritime Museum. Papers of James Baines and Co, Liverpool ship owners. File Bundle 6, item Doc 11. NLA.obj-2131709049. Copyright status not determined.